Instant Chocolate Mousse
- 150 grams mini marshmallows
- 50 grams soft butter
- 250 grams good dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids) chopped into small pieces
- 60 millilitres hot water (from a recently boiled kettle)
- 284 millilitres double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on the hob, over heat, though keep it fairly gentle, to melt the contents, stirring every now and again. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream with the vanilla extract until thick, and then fold into the cooling chocolate mixture until you have a smooth, cohesive mixture.
- Pour or scrape into 4 glasses or ramekins, about 175ml / ¾ cup each in capacity, or 6 smaller (125ml / ½ cup) ones, and chill until you want to eat. The sooner the better!